Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Evaluation Shmaluation

Ah the dreaded, feared, school evaluations were today. Representatives from the Haundae Board of Education came snooping about. They peered into my 3rd grade class. Class 9 of 3rd grade are usually little hellions. Urrgghh. One boy has a creepy infatuation with me and stares all period long. He brought me an air freshener not too long ago, so I'm hoping I just stink and he's not actually plotting some peeping Tom escapade. That aside, they were miraculously good. They must have been threatened with beatings. Don't you wish I was being facetious? No such luck. Afterward, one older woman, along with the new vice principal and head of my department came in to speak with me. Apparently being nervous was a waste of time. The "conversation" consisted of a "nice to meet you" and what I'm assuming, according to the gestures, pointing, and hand motions, were comments on my chest. Many Koreans love to talk about my "S-Curve." I swear, coming to Korea, was the quickest, easiest, cheapest boob job I could have ever got. And hey, I'M not the one who brought this up - THEY did. For the record, I was wearing a rather baggy shirt.

Another woman came in after my EOZ lunch class. She asked me questions about my opinion in regards to the EOZ program and my projected objectives with future curriculum. BS BS BS later and she finally left. I tried to talk fast enough, with enough syllables that hopefully I both lost her and sounded intelligent all at the same time. With a big sigh I slumped in my chair and kicked off my heels. Man oh man.

Ahhh crap, here she comes again. Alone. She wants to speak to me. Alone. For the next eternity of time (fine ... 10 minutes) she grills me with questions about my college courses, experiences, why I feel I'm qualified for the job, winter English camps, student progress, curriculum, etc. Whooooaaaa Lady. Is it wrong to tell her I just came for the paycheck and lots of time off? Thought so. Finally she leaves ... again ....

When my empty 6th period rolls around, Yong-Mi (the gal in charge of all things Lindsay at school) comes in for a "chat". Here we go. Apparently, despite the wonderful things she and Mrs. Song, head of the English dept., said about me, the board reps are concerned about my age and lack of experience and qualifications for the job.

Hold the phone!

1. Concerned about my age? I didn't think I'd have to be concerned about my age until I felt like collecting a social security check. Isn't that the only thing it really matters for after 21? Doesn't she know in approximately 11 days I'll have surpassed the peak of my 20s? --> yes, that was a shameless hint hint of my birthday October 12th <--

2. Lack of experience and qualifications? How about non-existent? Are you kidding me? Korea is the one now recruiting college students. All they asked for was the degree ... in ANYTHING. I wasn't even technically interviewed for this job. I volunteered ... thought that was the only requirement. Plus, I'm flaky, irresponsible, tactless, and inappropriate most of the time, and honestly don't particularly care for kids in general, let alone middle schoolers. In summary, I'm pretty much the LEAST qualified person I know. Don't get me wrong folks, I can be nice and caring and all that great stuff still, but well ... well .... I don't remember where I wanted to go with this anymore.

All in all ... the kids like me, and from what I hear, they try harder in my class than the rest. So .... so..... so there Board of Education, Shmoard of Education.

No comments: