Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Comedy Relief

I have no hesitation is stating that I loathe 2nd graders. Loathe them. They're hellions, brats, don't listen, don't work, don't do anything but talk and sleep. I was informed today that I no longer need to use the text book with them and may do as I please. This afforded me relief to some extent, imagining doing activities they liked and had fun with. Today was my frist go 'round with this new approach.

I had the students write out their names in English, and for each letter write a word describing themselves. For expample:

Lovely
Intelligent
Nice
Dynamic
Sensational
Adventurous
Young .... for now

Couldn't agree more, right? Okay. Well, I roamed the room, monitoring and watching the words some came up with. Some had Underground, Orange was very popular, Overweight, Ugly, Chocolate, so yeah, some didn't quite get it. And yes, most of my students have horrendous self esteems. ANYWAY. I was reading down one of the louder boy's list. Good, good, okay, good, wait ... last letter, N. He has chosen the word "nipple". Wait, what? I gasped, laughed, told him it was inappropriate, laughed some more, and then inquired as to why. I gave the required disapproving look while fighting the smirk. His response was, "But Teacher! I love them!"

He thus insisted on volunteering to share aloud. With each decline of mine, he has his group bursted with laughter. Ah well, at least they participated.

No comments: