Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Age

One of the first questions many people in Korea ask me is my age. "How old are you Linchee?" (Side Note: I wrote my name on the board today, and one girl told me it was spelled wrong ... yeah, I made that same face, too. I wouldn't know where to begin in describing their opinions and reactions to what they believe is the ridiculousness of my last name) Anyway ... where was I? Oh yes ... Soooo. I tell them I am indeed the grand ol' age of 25. Quite often, this is immediately followed by questioning the year in which I was born. When I say 1982, I'm told them I am wrong, that I'm 26. Koreans count the day of your birth as your first birthday. As it turns out, it doesn't even matter which month you were born in; at the beginning of each new year, you turn your next age. Thus, I am 26. Moving to Korea cost me a whole year. Where does the time go?

Furthermore, apparently 26 is damn near spinsterhood around here. Most ask if I'm married, and some don't even believe me when I tell them no, let alone do they understand the disgustingness that is the look on my face at the mere mention of the "M-word" and me.

No comments: