Today is the last full day of school and last day for classes. Tomorrow is a half day where the school will have a "closing ceremony" and students are released right after. At that time, the faculty, including me, will be boarding a tour bus to spend the day hanging out and celebrating the end of the academic year, as well as saying good-bye to the 16 teachers that will be leaving us.
*Not sure if I mentioned before, but in public school, teachers and administrators stay at one school for a maximum of 4 years, and they are switched around to other schools.
I've been looking forward to the end of the academic year for quite a few weeks now. For some reason, their finals were about a month ago, and ever since they have been little buttheads for the most part, as there's no incentive to trying, paying attention, or working in class anymore. Candy bribes just haven't been working for me. Thursday I'm all set to start teaching my Winter English Camps, which will have 24 students in the first and 21 in the second, both composed of mostly 1st graders (American 7th graders). 1st graders are by far the best English students, the least shy, and most comfortable trying and making mistakes with their English abilities. For the last 2 months, the plan was that I would be here 9-11 each day to teach and then go home.
Well..... the principal decided that wasn't good enough. He decided that I should be at school 8:30-4:30 (my normal schedule) each day despite there being any other faculty members here aside from administration. Ummm what?! Instantly, I argued that we'd already set on a plan months ago. The principal stood firm. I couldn't believe it. What in the world was I going to do sitting there for 6 hours a day... alone... freezing? Yes, this building is always freezing because they are extremely stingy with the heat. I informed the head of the English department, Mrs Song, as well as Yong-mi, that if he was insistent on this, I would no longer be able to support Sindo Middle School and would leave at the end of February once my camps were done. I was informed that the Korean was is to do as you're told, you do not question or argue anything, to which I replied that I wasn't Korean. No, I am not terribly culturally sensitive, but I just couldn't believe this. Mrs. Song called all the middle school in the Haeundae district to see how they were handling their foreigner. Half and Half for staying all day. Ugghhh. The next school day, I came in and was told that the principal finally relented after continued pressuring from Mrs. Song, Yong-mi, and even the Vice Principal. I was shocked. His conditions were that Mrs. Song was to create a "lesson plan" for me, as for my responsibilities from home each day. By February 27th, I am to submit a packet of lesson plans and class materials I have made for the upcoming new school year in March. Therefore, I only have to be at school from 9-12. Thank goodness. I will have a 4 day weekend for Chinese New Year in January and February 18 - March 1st off. Yes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment